13 March 2011

Grammatically Speaking

Grammar and being correct in speaking is important to me. Here are some reminders for us all. Please comment so I can add more.


Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight Savings Time

Beck and call, not beckoned call

"That doesn't faze me", not "phase"

Suffice to say, not suffice it to say

Exodus, not mass exodus

Regardless, not irregardless

"I couldn't care less", not "I could care less"

Use "fewer" when counting objects one-by-one. Use "less" with quantities/qualities that cannot be individually counted.

Farther refers to length or distance. Further refers to "a greater degree"

3 comments:

Two Sweeties said...

Here's another that gets on my nerves the expression is to tide one over, not to tie one over.

Anonymous said...

ending sentences with a preposition.

something big down here that drives me crazy: saying "On tomorrow" or "On yesterday"

NSU Women's Basketball said...

Haha. I love this! I think I might have been saying some things wrong my entire life.

Followers

Search This Blog